Weeks have passed, but the joy and uplifted spirit from the SEARCH Holiday Party still resonates...
Highlights from the party included: hot food off the grill, holiday beats, chess games, ornament making, football routes, stocking gift-sets, photoboothing and of course...the dance-off! But above all, the conversations and connection with the residents made this event truly memorable.
SEARCH Staff, Phoebe Wong, writes: "Residents have been absolutely RAVING about the party. Here are some comments that the residents shared with me:
- One woman started tearing up and shared that she was overwhelmed by how far people went to make this such a great party.
- Another man who painted an ornament (it turned out beautifully and got many compliments) said he’d never done anything like that before. I teased him and said maybe he found his next career.
- One woman couldn’t stop laughing during the dancing, and said that this made her day.
- I overheard some residents saying as the volunteers were leaving, “these people were so nice and sweet.” I think that speaks to the compassion and heart that volunteers brought into their interactions with residents
- The front desk monitor said, “my compliments to the chef” and wrote an incident report to the property manager about how organized and well-run the party was.
There’s so much more I can pass on with you and rave about, but these are just a representation of how appreciative the residents were. If not for my commitment to confidentiality, I could tell you so much about what certain residents have been going through, and how much of a refreshing and healing quality this party and the volunteers’ presence brought to them."
1. See more photos.
2. See cupid shuffle.
Vox Volunteer, Andrew Fox, writes: "Getting to be a part of this VOX event with SEARCH was definitely special for me. While it was certainly great to bless the lives of the people at Jackson Hinds, it is so much more a blessing to hear their fantastic stories, see their genuine smiles, and learn how these hardy souls have held onto hope..."
SPECIAL THANKS to the following groups/organizations for their support:
- SEARCH Homeless Services
- Jackson Hinds Gardens Staff and Residents
- Vox Holiday Planning Team
- Vox Volunteers
- Gifts in Kind: Kroger (Buffalo Spwy), Randall's, Walmart, Dr.Luk Dental, Philosophy, Panera Bread
- KV3 Photography
Through this event, we have learned more about the issue of homelessness in our city, have seen the generous side of humanity and have been touched by the lives at Jackson Hinds. Vox looks forward to creating more opportunities where we can care for our community in 2012. Join us!